However life has dealt the cards resulting in vision impairment, low vision rehabilitation transforms this limitation to a life with no boundaries. The best centers for the blind and visually impaired are professional vision rehabilitation centers which offer programs that teach self-reliance and nurture the emotional needs of those who are blind or have low vision - giving new life to this challenge.
Regardless of where you are on the vision spectrum, a good visually impaired center has the resources and expertise to help you out. Rehabilitation services are offered free with a variety of classes and programs to consider, after an initial low vision consultation where needs are assessed:
- One-on-one, personalized consultations with trained low vision specialists;
- Recommendations to maintain independence safely and actively including practical tips from lighting control to magnification devices to using markers;
- Classes and Support Groups:
- Daily living skills for mobility, cooking and doing laundry, critical thinking games, and exercise for health
- Reading and writing including braille books and an audiobooks library
- Assistive technology training to utilize smart phones, tablets and computers
- Coping with vision loss with active adult discussion groups to build emotional strength
Also, workshops are offered frequently on special topics like Best in Tech with featured guest speakers and can be invaluable for the entire family to attend. Not able to visit a low vision rehabilitation center? Not a problem, as in-home low vision support is also available to help people maximize their remaining sight and maintain their independence safely.
Vision loss doesn't need to limit or define, rather let a center for the visually impaired help identify a new way of doing things to live life well. Every service is tailored to the unique needs of the student - and offered at no cost.
Find a location for vision loss support.
www.brailleinstitute.org 1-800-BRAILLE (272-4553)
Source URL - https://www.brailleinstitute.org/blog/best-centers-for-the-blind-and-visually-impaired-transform-lives